Well What About Me?

Posted by Sofie W On 0 comments

When I joined this course I was set on becoming a Concept Artist but after a few weeks as we began experimenting with different software I began to broaden that view and wonder what else could I do? Here I'm going to take a little look into what it actually entails to be a concept artist and also take a look into 3D modelling which is something I've started to try and practice and I really enjoy.


"A concept artist is an individual who generates a visual design for an item, character, or area that does not yet exist. This includes, but is not limited to, film production, animation production and more recently video game production. A concept artist may be required for nothing more than preliminary artwork, or may be required to be part of a creative team until a project reaches fruition. While it is necessary to have the skills of a fine artist, a concept artist must also be able to work to strict deadlines in the capacity of a graphic designer. Some concept artists may start as fine artists, industrial designers, animators, or even special effects artists. Interpretation of ideas and how they are realized is where the concept artist's individual creativity is most evident, as subject matter is often beyond their control."

Artist Overview -

Bungie: Environment Artist Recruitment (What they're looking for) -

Wiki What Is -

ImagineFX -

Aaron St. Goddard: Case Study -

Having a look through these links and a few recruitment sites, companies are asking for a lot - of course I won't get looked at if I'm not amazing. I'm going to need experience in Maya as well as 3D Studio Max, more in Photoshop and other 2D/3D software; wasn't specified but probably Mudbox and zBrush. Drawing wise I need to practice on developing a strong understanding of light, value, composition, color, staging and detail in environmental design or character design depending on which I choose to focus on.


Quote from Aaron St. Goddard:
 Do you have any advice for the aspiring artist out there? 
There's a few important things to know. One of the most important things is to get your name out there. Make contacts. If you want people to know who you are, post your work on forums and advertise your website/portfolio if you have one. Also, be open to critique. The best way to improve is to find out what you may be doing wrong, and fixing it. Other artists can help you out a great deal. Lastly, draw as often as you can, and focus on making a diverse portfolio. It'll 
pay off in the end.